Sunday, August 31, 2008

Ford Madox Brown

I've had a busy week - I also went to the opening of Ford Madox Brown: The Unofficial Pre-Raphaelite at the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. I only had time for a quick look around the exhibition, but it looks fascinating and I'm looking forward to returning when I have more time. It's been a labour of love for Laura MacCulloch, who has been re-assessing the place of FMB in Pre-Raphaelitism through her Ph.D. at the University of Birmingham.
Brown was not one of the founding members of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, but as mentor and teacher to them he deserves a place in their history. This exhibition, which focusses on his drawings, looks at Brown in a wider persepctive than is usual. As BMAG's website says,
"Recent research has revealed the breath of Madox Brown’s achievements as a modernist and a realist in a career spanning some sixty years until his death in 1893."

No comments: